POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OBJECT IDEA : OBJECT IDEA Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  OBJECT IDEA
From: Majukatur
Date: 9 Jul 2002 16:58:30
Message: <3d2b4e76@news.povray.org>
Hi all.

Well, this is an idea that I had, is about the meshes, I was thinking, the
smooth triangle have a simulated normal that seems to be smooth, but it

smooth_triangle really smoothed?, if the syntax of the smooth_triangle is
conserved we can use the new shape with old mesh objects without problem,
but with better quality.

This object have another characteristics, for example, the amount of
triangles needed to create a model are very few, compared with the normal
mesh, this is because the mesh is an aproximation of the real model, you
need a lot of triangles to seem to be a curve, in this case, it is a curve,
and you save a lot of triangles, this allow you make your models even
manually, with a good quality, and it also save allocation memory and disk
space, this is good if you want to share your models in internet, for
example.

There are another object similar, the bicubic patch, but it is too difficult
to use manually, and is difficult to transform a mesh model into bicubic
patchs, that's the reason of the idea of a mesh-like object.

Fernando Correa.

excuse my english.