POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blurred reflections : Re: Blurred reflections Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred reflections
From: Hugo
Date: 8 Jul 2002 03:07:26
Message: <3d293a2e@news.povray.org>
> MegaPov does basically the same thing, and it's not any faster

Even when two blurred objects are close to each other and the rays ping
pong? That takes ages with the blur "trick" but the rendertime can be
considerably reduced with a low max_trace_level without any noticeable
difference.. Maybe MegaPOVs blurred reflection wouldn't change it's speed
with max_trace_level? It would be a better way then, because a scene may
have other objects that need a very high max_trace_level.

> you can do much more than MegaPov's blurred reflection can.

The best results are when the averaged normals are scaled very big, but then
the layers have a random value .. if you understand what I mean ... with
only a few layers, this does not always look good.. Besides it seems a very
big limitation that we can't apply both blur *and* an ordinary normal
pattern / image_map ... doing so does not mix well without MegaPOV.

Regards,
Hugo