POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : interior statement. : Re: interior statement. Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: interior statement.
From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 5 Jul 2002 12:08:51
Message: <3d25c493$1@news.povray.org>
"Andrew Cocker" <mai### [at] mariner9net> wrote in message

> "Dave VanHorn" <dva### [at] cedarnet> wrote in message
> > Now, I have to define everything about transparency EXCEPT refraction in
> the
> > finish, and put the refraction in on the object itself.   Very messy for
> > making objects transparent in one render, and not in the next.
>
> Well, it makes sense to me, as the IOR of a substance in reality is more
> related to the INTERIOR of an object than just it's surface.

I see that.

I'm thinking in terms of defining a part, then specifying what sort of
material it's to be shot in.
So I have textures like:

#declare ABS_Tex =   normal { bumps 0.160 scale 0.002 } //Depth, Diameter
#declare Gloss_Tex = normal { bumps 0.080 scale 0.500 } //Even gloss has
some bumpiness

#declare ABS_Gloss_Finish = finish  { ambient 0.2
                                      diffuse 0.30
                                      brilliance 1 //0.6767
                                      phong 0.68
                                      phong_size 80
                                      specular 0.2
                                      roughness 0.135
                                      reflection 0.2
                                    }

// Normal bumps disturb the surfaces, and create the effect of
// bumpy surfaces, without the mathmatical complexity of actually modelling
// the surfaces as collections of packed spheres, or anything else.

#declare ABS_Tex =   normal { bumps 0.160 scale 0.002 } //Depth, Diameter
#declare Gloss_Tex = normal { bumps 0.080 scale 0.500 } //Even gloss has
some bumpiness

// Finishes are the surface details like reflectance, shine, etc.

#declare ABS_Gloss_Finish = finish  { ambient 0.2
                                      diffuse 0.30
                                      brilliance 1 //0.6767
                                      phong 0.68
                                      phong_size 80
                                      specular 0.2
                                      roughness 0.135
                                      reflection 0.2
                                    }

#declare ABS_Finish = finish  { ambient 0.2
                                diffuse 0.30
                                brilliance 0.6767
                                phong 0.68
                                phong_size 80
                                specular 0.1
                                roughness 0.001 //135
                                reflection 0.1
                              }

#declare Lexan_Finish = finish  { ambient 0.15
                                  diffuse 0.250
                                  brilliance 0.8 //6767
                                  phong 0.68
                                  phong_size 80
                                  specular 0.05
                                  roughness 0.135
                                  reflection 0.05
                                  //ior 1.58
                                 }

#declare Crystal_Clear_Gloss_Lexan = texture { pigment { color rgbf <0.95,
0.95, 0.95, 1>}
                                    normal { Gloss_Tex }
                                         finish  { Lexan_Finish }
                                       }

As opposed to this, for a non-transparent plastic.

#declare Light_Blue_Gloss_ABS = texture { pigment { color rgb <0.7, 0.7, 1>
* .5}
                                    normal { Gloss_Tex }
                                     finish  { ABS_Gloss_Finish }
                                   }