POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Grid artifact in f_noise3d isosurface : Re: Grid artifact in f_noise3d isosurface Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:36:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grid artifact in f_noise3d isosurface
From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 30 Jun 2002 16:50:14
Message: <3d1f6f06@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   The GPL license has its own problems. In some ways it's so anarchist,
>   that
> it can actually be a totalitarian license.
>   LGPL is really nice (and a sign of this is that many GPL guys hate it),
> however, it can be a bit *too* free (eg. publishing POV-Ray under LGPL
> would allow anyone to make money by selling a program which has POV-Ray
> linked in it, for example being the main renderer in the program; it's not
> very nice that people would exploit POV-Ray in this way).

So stick to GPL which is EXACTLY meant to prevent your fears! LGPL is just
a stepping stone to smuggle Free Software into the commerical world then...
he he!!!

>> BTW is a Java Raytracer not slower by nature?
>
>   There's no way an interpreted language can be as fast as a compiled and
> highly optimized language.
>   Compiling the Java code to native machine code *might* make it reach
> the same speed, but I doubt that it will ever do that.

For your information it is years that Java is just-in-time compiled and, as
I wrote on another post, benchmarks show that it can be a competitor to
Assemebler for numerical tasks.

By the way, just to show you what a mature just-in-time compile technology
can do, there are benchmarks on the net which show Scheme (a dialect of
LISP) to be consistently faster than C!

--
Alessandro Coppo
a.coppo@<REMOVE_ME>iol.it