POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : 3.5 for dos : Re: 3.5 for dos Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.5 for dos
From: Marcelo Rodrigues
Date: 26 Jun 2002 21:00:59
Message: <3d1a63cb@news.povray.org>
Rick [Kitty5] wrote:

> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> Apache <apa### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>>> This way I can run POV-Ray using a simple telnet client. Then I'll
>>> just need a very narrow bandwidth internet connection to run POV-Ray
>>> on a remote render farm or something!
>>
>>   Wouldn't Linux (or any other Unix) be better for this purpose
>> anyways? (With a proper Unix you can even build a cluster from all
>> your computers so that they are transparently connected so that they
>> look like one computer with many processors.)
>
> how exactly would that help anyone running povray....

The workload would be shared among the nodes, making much faster than using
one single machine.

I saw a beast like this running, and it was amazing. The cluster was just
for demo, so it was made of cheap machines, and there were just 3 of them -
but its the difference that matters, right?

To render an image:

With just the master -> 70 seg (using both processors)
With the master (both processors) and the two slaves -> 21 sec

Hardware:

Master: Dual Pentium III 550
384 MB

Slave: Single Pentium III 650 EB
256 MB

Software: PovRay
Image: SkyVase.pov
SO: RedHat Linux 7.1 and Conectiva Linux 7.0

The machines were connected by fast ethernet, and a switch.

[]s

--

Lembre-se: Nco alimente o Troll.
Grato, a Administragco.