POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Specular Transparent Image-Map Problem with 3.5 RC 6 : Re: Specular Transparent Image-Map Problem with 3.5 RC 6 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular Transparent Image-Map Problem with 3.5 RC 6
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 19 Jun 2002 23:29:25
Message: <3d114c15$1@news.povray.org>
"Richard Borsheim" <rbo### [at] shawca> wrote...
> I guess I'll have to post a request for a new feature:
> "100% translucency = non-existence". Though, I suppose not many "real"
> POVRay users will be interested in such a feature.

FYI, it probably won't ever get added.  It's generally not good practice to
have a "trigger value" like that.

The more likely feature to be added in the future is a "finish map" which
will allow the finish to be directly controlled by a pattern.  Until then, a
"texture map" (already mentioned) is the way you can achieve this result.
It would look something like this:

texture {
  image_pattern {
    <your image file>
    use_alpha // so that it uses the alpha (transparancy) channel
  }
  texture_map {
    [0.0 texture {<your image texture with highlight>} ]
    [1.0 texture {<clear, no-highlight texture>} ]
  }
}

-Nathan