POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Specular Transparent Image-Map Problem with 3.5 RC 6 : Re: Specular Transparent Image-Map Problem with 3.5 RC 6 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular Transparent Image-Map Problem with 3.5 RC 6
From: Richard Borsheim
Date: 19 Jun 2002 00:12:29
Message: <3d1004ad$1@news.povray.org>
> >>   a) it doesn't happen with other pigments but just with image maps?
> > I'm not sure how that would be done. You would need to have a pigment
with
> > transparent regions.
>   Easily. Specify a color_map with some of the values being rgbf 1

Fair enough. That doesn't sound too hard, but from my perspective the two
are not the same, though I can see that from POVRay's perspective they
likely are.

> >>   b) it happens only in 3.5 and not previous versions?
> > The model uses Mesh2/UV Mapping so it doesn't work in versions prior to
3.5,
> > and all the earlier betas of 3.5 have expired of course.
>   You should have tried the same thing with other objects. Your conclusion
> that it's a problem with image_maps was too premature.

I don't think I was premature at all. The renders looked wrong and I
isolated it to specularity. I think I put in a reasonable effort to
determine the cause. Since Mesh2 and UV mapped image-maps are new to POVRay
3.5 it is not unreasonable that I would come to the conclusion that it is a
new issue. I posted here in order to be of assistance.

>   As Nathan said, it's not a problem with image_maps, nor meshes. It's not
> problem at all. It works as it should.
>   (Why? If not, how would you make clear glass with highlights?)

I wouldn't necessarily say that it works as it should. It all depends on
your perspective. From my perspective it is more important to support
punch-through transparency with image-maps
(http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.pye/transparency4.jpg) but I recognize that
not everyone would agree.

Richard