POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Save Always = for now : Re: Save Always = for now Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:11:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Save Always = for now
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 16 Jun 2002 05:03:01
Message: <3d0c5445@news.povray.org>
"Jonathan Wooldridge" <jwo### [at] attbicom> wrote in message

> Hmm...I would suggest that this ought to be more of a user-preference type
> of thing than a design decision; similar to hot-key assignments. I know
how
> easy it is to hard-code hot-keys, vs create dynamic binding so the user
can
> do their own keystroke layout.

Mmmmh... You _can_ define key mappings, just not all of it (see doc 1.6.3
and 1.6.4). The "not all of it" is clearly because of programming
difficulty. I do not believe that setting a persistent flag is so much of a
problem (but I am no programmer): it is already done for many settings
(e.g. : remembering rendering settings, opened docs, queue settings, ...).

> But it could be easy to add an .ini setting along the lines of:
> FileSaveStatus=always
>
> and have it default to "ask" for novice users.

I know and IIRC (I still did not find the thread neither in p.general nor in
p.windows... I asked Outlook Express to download everything in these two
groups, but I think there is a bug there, as the first thread I have in
p.gen is from 1994, then  it jumps straight to december 1996... also I
suspect the search command in OE not to work properly on such large groups),
that kind of solution was proposed / asked for at the time and it was
decided to keep it the way it is. (though I do not know exactly why...)

Overall, it is a very minor annoyance. As I already made mistakes with that
feature, esp. with the save all + don't ask again, I can guess one of the
reasons.

As for your solution, I believe that (1) it would not be allowed to add
platform-specific switches to the ini file / command line language and (2)
putting this in an ini file would mean that you could have your settings
changed by an imported scene, which is definitely bad.

This issue was decided ages ago and I think that the silence of the pov-team
in this thread clearly show that they consider this question as closed.
Furthermore, as this is not a bug but rather a feature wish, I believe that
it is far too late to express such a wish and here is not the right group.
Why not p.unofficial.patches ? (better wait till the release of the source
code...)

Povingly,

Philippe