POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D symbols : Re: 3D symbols Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D symbols
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 13 Jun 2002 18:48:45
Message: <3d09214d$1@news.povray.org>
"Harold Baize" <bai### [at] itsaucsfedu> wrote :

> >     In VCRs you will still find that HiFi and stereo are both noted when
> > present. I have a VCR that is stero and HiFi, and another that is Hi Fi
> and
> > not stereo.
>
> The irony is that the HiFi on a VCR refers to video quality, not
> sound, and the stereo part refers to sound, not vision.

    That would be ironic, but I think it's not quite true. HiFi refers to
sound. And stereo to me relates to anything that has two sources that
combine to make a single spatial awareness. Since we have stereo hearing and
sight, it could be video or audio.

> A stereoscopy
> enthusiast should expect a "stereo TV" to present an image with true
> 3D depth. Instead it is just sound coming from two speakers (and
> usually not mixed correctly to provide stereophonic effect).

    I am usually disappointed in the stereophonic effects of most music I
hear. Sometimes they go too far and have sounds sweeping around like angry
bees, and other times they simply place sounds on the left or right and
leave them there. Stereo sound is an artists tool that should be used and
not abused.