POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D symbols : Re: 3D symbols Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D symbols
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 13 Jun 2002 16:06:42
Message: <3d08fb52$1@news.povray.org>
"Harold Baize" <bai### [at] itsaucsfedu> wrote :

> To the stereo enthusiast it doesn't make much sense
> to call a flat image "3D" just because of the algorithms
> used to produce it. The image is just as flat as any
> other 2D print, such as a photograph, which is also
> "3D" (the real world) in its origin.
>
> Although the appropriation of the term for computer
> graphics creates some confusion for stereoscopy,
> there is no use in stereo enthusiasts trying to stop the
> change in terminology. That would be a waste of time.
> Computer graphics are truly 3D in origin and the
> depth can be viewed through either stereoscopic
> presentation, interaction with the virtual environment,
> or animation.

    I was going to mention that for our purposes, unless it is animated, any
3D symbol is basically the same as a flat symbol.

> So stereo enthusiast are trying to take back another
> term that was taken away: STEREO. Originally the
> term stereo was applied almost exclusively to
> stereoscopic imaging. That was the case for over
> 80 years, until "HiFi" was replaced by the term
> "stereo" for audio equipment with two speakers,
> around the 1950's.

    Eh... no. HiFi, or high fidelity, is quite different from stereo in
audio usage. The reason it seems to have suplanted HiFi is that in audio
equipment, it is hardly necessary to mention that it is high fidelity any
more, since almost all of it is.

    In VCRs you will still find that HiFi and stereo are both noted when
present. I have a VCR that is stero and HiFi, and another that is Hi Fi and
not stereo.

> So long live STEREO and 3D, best experienced
> when combined with a good surround sound
> system ;-)

    Whatever happened to quadraphonic?