POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using average for blurred reflection : using average for blurred reflection Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  using average for blurred reflection
From: TinCanMan
Date: 11 Jun 2002 09:32:48
Message: <3d05fc00@news.povray.org>
I had been trying to use average to help with blurred reflections, with no
success.  After reading the item on
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povQandT/languageQandT.html about it I
realized that I needed to average the textures and not just the normals as I
had previously been trying.
I also have a couple of questions regarding this. The page states that
averaging textures forces POV to shoot multiple rays at the object. The docs
don't state this (that I could find), if it is true, perhaps it should be
stated in the docs? Also, why does average seem to function differently when
used in a normal versus a texture, when running tests, the only difference
between the averaged texture and the texture with averaged normals was the
normal block, but yet the results were quite different.

-tgq