POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : access violation exception : Re: access violation exception Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: access violation exception
From: N Shomber
Date: 5 Jun 2002 22:21:31
Message: <3cfec72b@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked the scene files and they all have
> open permission. Also, the render will run ok if I turn off
> anti-aliasing, or eliminate most of the objects, or zoom the camera out
> so that the objects only take up a small proportion of the image area.
> So it would seen that the component files can all be accessed okay.

It may also be an access or size limited Windows Swap File.  If you do not
have administrator permissions these settings cannot be changed.  However,
if you do have admin privelages, Right click My Computer. Click Properties.
Go to the Advanced tab and select Performance Options.  By clicking Change,
you can set new size limits for Windows memory paging or swapping.

At least in Win98, a search for a file named "*.swp" on the local hard
drives will result with one large file.  This is the swap file.  **Be
careful** You may check its permissions, but whatever you do, do not leave
it open long, nor change or delete it.

> The
> scene consists of 15 mesh2 objects, 14 grapes and a grape stem.  The
> grapes stem is textured with a uv map, the grapes are textured with
> media interiors. The stem renders okay by itself.  The problems seem to
> start when I specify anti-aliasing with too many objects or over too
> much of the image area.

(See Docs 5.2.6.4 Anti-Aliasing Options)
Depending on which method is being used, Anti-aliasing is based on either
contrast between pixels or within them.  If mode 2 is used, each grape or
object or whatever will increase pixel contrast.  This will cause more need
for the actual aa algrithms.

> All other things being equal, how does specifying anti-aliasing increase
> the demand on resources.  I would have guessed it just requires more
> computations. Does it require more memory?

It will require more memory because each super-sampled pixel would be
preserved so that future neighboring pixels don't need to re-shoot that that
location.  Storing this may significantly increase memory usage. (perhaps 4x
or more!)

N Shomber
WinXP Pro
WinPOV 3.5 RC5