POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory consuming...? : Re: Memory consuming...? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory consuming...?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 May 2002 09:38:28
Message: <3cf62b54@news.povray.org>
In article <3CF622D4.238E3ABA@gmx.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

>> As explained, looking at the system monitor is absolutely unsuitable to check
>> memory usage...
>>

> I have not been able to supply a test scene for this until now so no need
> to have much fuzz about it, but if the harddisk starts trashing after 250
> frames despite 256 Mb RAM this IMO is a suitable indication for memory
> consumption.

Well, how many messages are in the message window by then?  I suppose many.
And they are likely all over the application memory space which suggests a lot
of memory fragmentation.  Consequently after each frame there can a little
memory that is no use as it is a leftover fragment when rendering the next
frame which uses a similar memory allocation pattern.

The effect many not be as visible when rendering different scenes, but it is
simply in the nature of memory allocation.  Just like your harddisk memory
gets fragmented, and even worse, with memory there is no way to "defragment"
it other than freeing all memory allocated, which is essentially restarting
the program ... essentially you are chasing ghosts here.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde