POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Global lights, shadowless, etc. : Re: Global lights, shadowless, etc. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Global lights, shadowless, etc.
From: TinCanMan
Date: 28 May 2002 07:56:42
Message: <3cf3707a$1@news.povray.org>
> Section 6.5.9.7 states the following:
> ___________________________
> When no_image is used, the object will not be seen by the camera, either
> directly or through transparent/refractive objects. However, it will still
> cast shadows, and show up in reflections (unless no_reflection and/or
> no_shadow is used also).
> When no_reflection is used, the object will not show up in reflections. It
> will be seen by the camera (and through transparent/refractive objects)
and
> cast shadows, unless no_image and/or no_shadow is used.
> _________________________
>
> I was confused by this. I had used 3 light groups, placing the floor and
> mirror apart too. Thinking maybe global_lights could help somehow but it
did
> not. What's apparently being described is that a shadow cannot be
separated
> except via no_shadow. Just one of those things you shouldn't read fast and
> instead think over a few moments. Simply put, it's saying no_reflection
has
> no bearing over shadows. It's merely a "object modifier" alone, each of
> those three keywords independantly acting upon things.

I see, but the problem I have here is that the no_reflection sphere and the
reflected box are not in the same light group at all.  If you remove the
reflected-only box and remove no_reflection from the box in the same group
as the sphere, then there is no shadow in the reflection.
In 6.5.8 it states "The light_sources in the group can only illuminate the
objects that are in the group." so I don't see how an object in one
light_group can cast a shadow from a light in a different light_group.

-tgq