POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : mirrors should not reflect shadows : Re: mirrors reflect shadows test scene Server Time
16 May 2024 03:10:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mirrors reflect shadows test scene
From: bob h
Date: 27 May 2002 04:12:16
Message: <3cf1ea60@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message

> Of course I may have misunderstood what Bruno is trying, but if he
> wanted to remove the shadow in the mirror of the red sphere without
> removing the shadow of the red sphere itself, I don't know how that's
> possible using just those object modifiers.

Isn't, I suppose. Just groping in the dark for a solution. I realized the
non-reflected shadow was probably a neccessity but that wasn't mentioned, so
I went ahead and tossed no_shadow into the mix.
 Seems one of those feats requiring some wizardry.  For example a
light_group, already mentioned by someone else I think, involving a second
sphere to cast the false shadow to replace the missing one. Trying that out
just now I didn't get it right, the mirror (and floor) shows the reflected
shadow even though it isn't a part of the group. At least that could
possibly be a bug, if I'm doing this like it should be.

So, if someone cares to double check on this here's what I was using to
attempt Bruno's desired result:

/* Idea: red sphere should have no shadow.
   Sphere should have a shadow on floor
   but not a shadow in mirror.
*/

#version 3.5;

camera {
  location  <2, 2, -4>
  look_at   <1, 0, 1>
  angle 50
}

// original object
light_group {

light_source {
  <-10, 10, -5>, 1.5
}

sphere { // this is removed from mirror
  0, 1
    pigment {
        color red 1
            }
 // no_image
  no_reflection
  no_shadow
}

plane { // floor here, in other group, anywhere... no matter(?)
  y, -1
  pigment { checker rgb 1/3, rgb 2/3 }
}

 global_lights off
}

// fake shadow... still shows up in mirror
light_group {

light_source {
  <-10, 10, -5>, 1.5
}

sphere { // replacment object
  0, 1
    pigment {
        color green 1
            }
  no_image
 // no_reflection
 // no_shadow
}

 global_lights off
}

// global lighting/objects
light_source {
  <-10, 10, -5>, 1.5
}

plane { // mirror... tied only to this light?
  z, 2
  pigment { color rgb .5 }
  finish {
  reflection {<1,1,0>}