POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV -> VRML, etc. : Re: POV -> VRML, etc. Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV -> VRML, etc.
From: Wolfgang Thaller
Date: 26 May 2002 09:34:12
Message: <3cf0e454@news.povray.org>
"Marc M. Adkins" <POV### [at] Doorwaysorg> wrote:
> I'm only concerned that the very act of
> generating secondary graphical data files from
> POV-Ray violates the license restrictions on
> additional APIs.  I figure to generate ASCII
> data files in XML format, not APIs, not ActiveX/COM,
> not DLLs.  I don't think that this is a violation...

I am not a lawyer, but I think it's perfectly OK to go ahead.

> You betcha.  I figure I'm too ignorant of the issues
> to be properly scared.

Being scared is never good - go ahead!

I read somewhere that the POV-Ray team plans a complete rewrite for version
4.0 - this will probably take some time, but you should be careful not to
integrate your code too closely with the current POV-Ray codebase...

If you want to steal ideas or know-how from VOP...
[
VOP is my own POV-SDL-OpenGL-Previewer - you already have seen it (thanks
for the link!), but most others haven't ;-) :
http://www.kfunigraz.ac.at/imawww/thaller/wolfgang/vop-intro.html
]
... feel free to do so. As you probably don't want to learn the strange
programming language that I am using, I'm also available to provide
information in English :-)

I wish you good luck!

Cheers,

Wolfgang Thaller