POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Video Compression : Re: Video Compression Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Compression
From: Hugo
Date: 25 May 2002 17:32:45
Message: <3cf002fd$1@news.povray.org>
> : On his website the author claims that using Motion JPEG would be
inadequate to
> : produce MPEG because it would introduce artifacts.  However, the
opposite is
> : true.  Conversion from Motion JPEG to MPEG is absolutely without quality
loss
> : (if done properly - of course one can mess up anything if one does it
> : incorrectly) and it also much faster *. --Thorsten
> </excerpt>
>
> I never knew that. Thanks for checking it out. A quick search for
> the term "transcode" delivered a great deal of info.
> =Bob=

Hmm, allright but I DO use the Huffyuv codec all the time, and it doesn't
have bugs! I am a quality freak. Huffyuv is lossless compression. Mjpeg
isn't.. File-size is not a problem for me, I bought extra harddisk space
just for this.. After capturing, I run the video and audio through several
filters and enhancers, and finally re-encode as Divx.. The quality I get
from this work, is much better than everything I ever downloaded from the
net.. If you're trying to make great video, don't forget that Huffyuv allows
you to *edit* the files and save them again and again.. They won't loose
quality until you switch to another codec.

- Hugo