POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Particle system beta testers wanted : Re: Particle system beta testers wanted Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Particle system beta testers wanted
From: Tom Melly
Date: 24 May 2002 15:44:31
Message: <3cee981f@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message

> > The dodgy start to your anim. would imply that, even for still
> > images, a particle system has many advantages.
>
> As stated above, I agree.
>
> I'm not very familiar with the word "dodgy" though. Out of curiosity,
> what exactly do you mean?

 (dodgier, dodgiest)
1  colloq. awkward, unreliable, tricky.
2  Brit. cunning, artful.
"The Concise Oxford Dictionary,"

In this context I meant "awkward" - as in "that shot with the dove in 'Blade
Runner' looked a bit dodgy"

> Which smoke animation are you referring to? It could be:
> * Smoketrail (smoketrail after a simplistic missile)
> * Cigarette Smoke (no cigarette yet, but smoke that could come from one)
> * Explosion (camera rotates around a gray box being blown up)
> * Blow Up (shaky camera filming realistic building being blown up)

The cigarette smoke.

> spheres filled with media. The cigarette smoke animation was made by
> connecting the particles with bicubic patches, but I also consider that
> a rather unusual approach myself.

So the particles act as guide points - or are all the points of the patch
defined by particles ?

Ah - I'll render myself and try and work it out (is the ciggy smoke
included?).