POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Video Compression : Re: Video Compression Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Compression
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 24 May 2002 08:57:56
Message: <3cee38d4$1@news.povray.org>
> ... btw: his comment sounded like his filesystem has problems
> with files >2GB (which is IIRC the case with vFAT) so it doesn't
> help him to use another fileformat !AVI (while I'm still not 100%
> sure that even AVI has such a limit)

See
<http://www.google.com/search?q=%22avi+file+size+limit%22>

You will find that the AVI format has a 2 GB limit inherited by bad design.
Of course, the format is also limited by everything else, like the 512 MB, 8
GB 128 GB and so on limits of IDE harddrives, OS and filesystem file size
limits and so on and so on.

Of course, M$ in 2001 noticed that 2 GB for video isn't a whole lot and they
defined "AVI 2.0".  Whether it is in wide-spread use or supported in many
products is of course a completely different story...

    Thorsten