POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Text : Re: Text Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Text
From: Rune
Date: 23 May 2002 11:36:02
Message: <3ced0c62$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly wrote:
> Use two nested cylinders, use the object pattern on the outer one,
> using a transparent pigment for the non-object areas. Your letters
> would then be 3d IMHO.

What? No!

The surface of an object never changes no matter what textures you use.
What you suggest would produce some curved 2d letters floating around
the inner cylinder, but without being 3d.

If the shapes of objects depended on their textures, we wouldn't need
isosurfaces! ;)

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 20)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/