POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : highlight question : Re: highlight question Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: highlight question
From: TinCanMan
Date: 10 May 2002 07:35:00
Message: <3cdbb064$1@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
> In RL, is there any difference between highlights and blurred reflection?

Highlights seen in real life are pretty much the same as reflection, blurred
or otherwise (i.e., highlights on shiny plastic, highlights on rough
plastic.)  If you look closely at a highlight (the less blurred it is) you
should be able to see that it's shape resembles that of the reflection of
light sources or other bright objects.
Lately, in my modeling of textures, I have been trying to avoid using
specular or phong highlight models (in fact, I don't know when the last time
I used them was) in favour of fresnel reflection, visible light sources and
surface 'micro-normals'  (see Duckie and Duckie II from a couple of weeks
ago in p.b.i, no highlight models were used).  However, using this requires
high AA settings and longer render times in order to render the textures
properly.

-tgq