POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Field rendering with anti-aliasing : Re: Field rendering with anti-aliasing Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:03:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field rendering with anti-aliasing
From: PovRAY
Date: 2 May 2002 17:55:12
Message: <3cd1b5c0@news.povray.org>
I think that this may be a bug.

I've had a look at the source code and it reveals that POV-Ray behaves in a
strange way when anti-aliasing is used with field rendering.

If you have anti-aliasing switched off, it behaves the way most people
expect. It calculates and renders only the odd-numbered lines of a frame -
on the screen the even numbered lines appear as black lines, but in the
output file they are an exact copy of the calculated lines. In other words
line 1 is calculated and output as line 1 and 2, then line 3 is calculated
and output as line 3 and 4, and so on. For the next frame only the
even-numbered lines are calculated and duplicated in a similar way.

However, when you switch on anti-aliasing the behaviour changes. For a
particular frame, POV-Ray calculates and renders ALL of the lines (odd and
even) individually as if field rendering was not switched on! But then it
anti-aliases the odd-numbered lines, leaving the even lines with no
anti-aliasing. For the next frame all of the lines are calculated and
rendered, and then the even lines are anti-aliased with the odd lines left
with no anti-aliasing.

This can be seen in the function Start_Non_Adaptive_Tracing() in render.c

This is very strange. The whole point of using the field rendering feature
of POV-Ray is to save time by only calculating HALF of the lines in each
image, but when anti-aliasing is switched on ALL of the lines are being
calculated (although only half are anti-aliased). So it seems that POV-Ray
is wasting a lot of time unnecessarily calculating the "unused" lines!

If any of the POV-Ray development team read this, can you comment on whether
this  is a BUG?

Thanks

Colin