POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? : Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing?
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 1 May 2002 01:43:51
Message: <3ccf8097@news.povray.org>
Hugo wrote in message <3ccd09e0@news.povray.org>...
>> You should have 56 MB left after Windows starts up.  Windows uses half
>your
>> available physical memory, plus an additional 8 MB.  Are you loading some
>
>> additional programs at startup?

>But even when you say 56, I don't understand these days.. If you ever had
an
>Amiga computer, maybe you remember it's "windows-like" OS that ran on 512
>KB... And I don't see why todays Windows need SO much physical memory.. I
>really think Microsoft just expands memory because of some odd deal with
the
>RAM chip manufacturers.

The "plus 8 MB" is for Windows itself.  The "half of all physical memory" is
for the disk cache, the font cache, the filename cache, the directory cache,
etc.  All these caches get moved out to virtual memory if you have a program
that needs a lot of memory.

--
Mark

The Universe is expanding.
The budget for its exploration is shrinking.