POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height field as displacement map? : Re: Height field as displacement map? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field as displacement map?
From: Hugo
Date: 30 Apr 2002 05:43:51
Message: <3cce6757@news.povray.org>
> Sounds strange and does not make much sense to me, but you are probably
> looking for something like the HF macros in POV-Ray 3.5.

Well, it does not sound so strange to me. Surface displacement with UV
coordinates, could easily spice up any shape, most useful with image_maps of
course.. Lets take an example: A brick wall.. Make the wall round / any
shape you want, and apply a bump-map only this time it's real bumps..

But often, it's probably meant as a faster way to model, than .. for example
a macro to place each brick.. Though there are some more advanced bump
textures that would be real hard to "macro-nize"..

I think.. ;o)
Hugo