POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I shift the image plane? : Re: How can I shift the image plane? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I shift the image plane?
From: Vic
Date: 28 Apr 2002 05:28:08
Message: <3ccbc0a8@news.povray.org>
Hi Alex!

> I was going to suggest changing the direction vector, but unfortunately
> this does not work at all logically.

Unfortunately, not.

> Slime suggests using the matrix transformation, which will allow you to
> shift the image plane.

> matrix <1,0,sf,
>          0,1,0,
>          0,0,1,
>          0,0,0>

Yes, it's in the documentation on the "matrix keyword" page and mentioned as
shearing.

> But this doesn't quite work as expected, causing a slight stretch in the
> image along the x-axis. The fix is to use
>
> matrix <sqrt(1+sf^2),0,sf,
>                     0,1,0,
>                     0,0,1,
>                     0,0,0>

I had to turn off vista buffer, because Pov refused to render the image
(camera vectors are not perpendicular).

Stereo images now look good and not shifted away!
Thanks, this works corretly as I expected.

> The other thing that doesn't work as expected is the look_at. I would
> have expected to look_at <xx,0,0> (parallel to the z-axis) and the
> matrix to deform the camera to look at the origin.
> Can I have a new camera please, this one's broken (shakes it and hears
> glass rattling about inside).

There would be a camera modifier in PovRay supporting stereo images, like:

camera {
    eye_distance 0.06
}

This should generate two images for each frame: a left eye view and a right
eye view, such as:

Stereo.pov =>
Stereo01L.bmp
Stereo01R.bmp
Stereo02L.bmp
Stereo02R.bmp

This could simplify stereo animation, because on the one hand it's not
needed to calculate a new clock variable according to frame_number, on the
other hand left and right images can be separated and processed easily.

A command line/configuration paramter can also be useful to support stereo
view of existing scenes.

Thanks to the Pov newsgroup, my problem has been solved.

Special thanks to: Alex, Slime and Harolddd

- Vic -