POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I shift the image plane? : Re: How can I shift the image plane? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I shift the image plane?
From: Harold Baize
Date: 27 Apr 2002 16:41:04
Message: <3ccb0ce0@news.povray.org>
If you change the camera location but don't
change the look_at it will rotate the camera
and introduce "keystone" distortion. In the
real world our eyes do rotate (converge) when
we look at something close, and our perceptual
system (brain) compensates for the distortion.
Unfortunately, when we view stereo images our
viewing methods can't recreate this convergence
and as a result we see distortion. To avoid this
stereo pairs should be created with parallel
cameras.

The rare exception to keeping the cameras
parallel this is in electron microscopy where
the object itself is rotated. The resulting image
doen't have noticeable keystone distortion
because of the shallow depth of field.

Harolddd