POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scenes and rendered images of this problem : Re: Scenes and rendered images of this problem Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scenes and rendered images of this problem
From: Harold Baize
Date: 27 Apr 2002 16:31:12
Message: <3ccb0a90@news.povray.org>
Vic,
I don't know which of us is confused, well
I know I'm confused... I hope I'm not just
telling you things you have already considered,
anyway...

when you change the look_at  or location without an
equal change in the other you effectively
rotate the camera, which is different from what
you describe as changing the "screen position"
or shifting the image plane.
The problem you are noticing could be
"keystoneing" which is the geometric distortion
created by rotating the camera.

I think what you want to do is set the
"stereo window".  By adjusting the
location of the boundaries of the image
you can place the z dimension relative
to the viewing plane. In stereoscopic
photography this is usually done when the
images are mounted.

Whenever I make stereo pairs I keep the
cameras parallel by shifting both the location
x dimension and the look_at x by the same
amount. Then there is no distortion. I set the
stereo window by trimming the edges of the
finished image.

patch to POV-Ray called Stereo POV 0.1.
It will create stereo pairs and set the stereo
window so you don't need to trim the
images after they are rendered. Unfortunately
I find his patch troublesome because it is
based on a specific "metric" and confuses
me because I have to design scenes based on
real world proportions, ie camera at 2m and
a stereo separation of 0.065m. I find it difficult
to adjust my existing scenes to fit this metric.

Try his patch and let us know what you think.

http://www.geocities.com/stereopov/

Harolddd