POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I shift the image plane? : Re: How can I shift the image plane? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I shift the image plane?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Apr 2002 06:08:16
Message: <3cca7890@news.povray.org>
In article <3cca6837@news.povray.org> , "Vic" <let### [at] fwhu> wrote:

> My problem is the tilt of the horizontal lines appears on my "bad" pictures,
> not the depth of my objects. The effect is very similar (but not identical)
> to a slight rotation around the Z axis. This renders the left and right
> images wrong.

But they are not wrong!  As soon as your eyes focus on something this is
precisely the effect you have.  What you are trying to generate is an image
infinitely far away, so your eyes have to look nearly parallel.

> viewport limits

As you keep talking about viewport limits I suppose your problems
understanding the correct behavior come from the use of z-buffer based
algorithms.  It is indeed true that for those when rendering stereo views the
viewport is commonly moved, but this is only an approximation necessary to
avoid having to transform the whole scene in order to keep the rendering fast.
The image you call "bad" is actually the correct image for a stereo view of a
human eye and the "good" one a simple approximation similar to those commonly
produced by a z-buffer based stereo renderer.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.