POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bitmaps for heightfields : Re: Bitmaps for heightfields Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bitmaps for heightfields
From: Slime
Date: 26 Apr 2002 15:42:05
Message: <3cc9ad8d$1@news.povray.org>
> have no problem with the x and z resolutions (6000*6000 is probally a bit
> over the top for my purposes, but what the hell) but the y resolution is
> limited to 256 levels (8 bit greyscale).  I would much prefer this to be
> 16bit greyscale but Photoshop won't do the Gausian Blur (or any blurs for
> that matter) when I set this pixel depth to this.

Try *lowering* the resolution. If the resolution is low enough, then the
separations between levels will be less obvious. Of course, you might not be
able to afford too low of a resolution. I don't really know what the
solution is; I've never gotten a hight field to really look good.

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]