POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Curved Triangle Problems : Re: Curved Triangle Problems Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curved Triangle Problems
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 23 Apr 2002 11:31:35
Message: <3cc57e55@news.povray.org>
Anders K. wrote:

> Looking at the algorithm you described, you're offsetting points based
> on normal values, and as the size of the triangle increases, this
> offset becomes less significant.

Right - if you scale the triangle, you must also scale the normals
(odd, but true :)

> Also, while adjacent edges between
> triangles will be continuous when the normals are the same, there's no
> reason for them to be smooth.

Hmm...  I hope that's not the case, but it may be.  Anyway, in the
tests I've done it's come out smooth, but I haven't tested many meshes
extensively (just large, odd shapes to make sure things look right).

> I think you're going to need a
> completely different algorithm to ensure this.

Could be.  I looked into using bezier splines for the three sides, but
the middle section always got me bogged down in how to compute it.
This method seems much more elegant, although it requires tracking a
large amount of data (points, normals, magnitudes and, if wanted,
texture coordinates etc).

...Chambers