POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Security Issues in Povray? : Re: Security Issues in Povray? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Security Issues in Povray?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Apr 2002 17:32:17
Message: <3cc48161@news.povray.org>
In article <3cc46d7e@news.povray.org> , "ncryptor" <o### [at] ocom> wrote:

> What i suggest is that ALL the source be checked for buffer overflows and
> this be corrected, so that in the final version of 3.5 we will have a
> completely stable, secure version. This sounds like a lot of work but i
> think its worth it.

You are free to do it when the source code is released :-)

I do not agree with you that any final release POV-Ray should be checked to
such an extend for buffer overflows.  I am not saying they should not be
corrected if they cause real problems, but POV-Ray is not intended to be run
in such a way that it has to be assumed to be absolutely secure.

Or, more precisely:  This task will definitely never make it high on the list
for POV-Ray 3.x as it is essentially a waste of time considering there will be
a rewrite with POV-Ray 4.0 anyway.  Even then I doubt it will be a primary
priority.

    Thorsten