POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values : Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values
From: Slime
Date: 22 Apr 2002 15:02:26
Message: <3cc45e42@news.povray.org>
> > Equally it's not clear what to make of a cylinder
> > with identical end and base point (you could expect nothing, a point
> > or a sphere), just dropping it would be incorrect.
>
> I expect a disc. :)

What normal do you suggest this disc should have?

> Of course it's not clear what's the resulting object, but why not
> dropping it *with a warning*, so the user is noticed that something may
> go wrong? What's the problem with that? Isn't that better than stopping
> with an error?

Hmm... there are good arguments either way for this. Personally, I'd rather
have the error, since I probably generated the problematic cylinder with a
macro that generates random cylinders or something, and I'd like to know
that there's a problem rather than rendering for a while, only to discover
that a cylinder is missing.

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]