POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media player : Re: media player Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media player
From: jimbobjim
Date: 22 Apr 2002 09:15:37
Message: <3cc40cf9@news.povray.org>

news:g128cu4651e3sc6qaccb60vlalr76iiuee@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:52:00 +0100, "jimbobjim"
<jim### [at] blueyondercouk>
> wrote:
> > Could someone recommend a decent media player - as about 50% of the
anims I
> > download from p.b.a simply don't play.
>
> I think it's not the problem of player but installed codecs.

Do you know where I can update these?

> > I used to use Windows Media Player
> > which had a success rate of about 75% but ate my system resources (I
refuse
> > to wait 5 mins for the thing to load).
>
> What load ? Player ? Animation ? From drive ? From net ?

to play, say an audio cd from the CD-ROM (or any other media file from HD)
requires a huge amount of disk access hence the wait for just the player to
load. I'm not sure what the problem is but it's the only app that does this
(even after reistalls disk, defrags, etc - I recently trebelled my physcial
memory as well)

thanks
jim