POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Math help please. : Re: Math help please. Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math help please.
From: TinCanMan
Date: 19 Apr 2002 10:27:30
Message: <3cc02952$1@news.povray.org>
You may have figured it out but I'll post this any ways since I just
finished it, let me know if you have any questions.

Given Pts A & C and length D as well as pt P which lies on the desired plane
the macro calculates and returns B1 and B2, the two possible intersection
pts
note: if 2*L< Lac, you will get an error
also you need to initialize pts B1 and B2 for the macro to work

-tgq

//A = pt 1
//C = pt 2
//P = 3rd point on the desired plane
//L = distance from A & C to B
//B1, B2 = two possible points on the desired plane
//         predeclare B1 and B2 as anything (i.e. <0,0,0>)
//         they will be assigned approprite pts by the macro
#macro TwoPts (A,C,P,L,B1,B2)
  #local N=vnormalize(vcross(vcross(C-A,P-A),C-A));
  #local D=(A+C)/2;
  #local L2=sqrt(L^2-vlength(D-A));
  #local B1=D+N*L2;
  #local B2=D-N*L2;
#end

//sample scene illustrating the geometry
camera{
  location <5,5,-5>
  look_at  0
}