POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : HF* macros issues : Re: HF* macros issues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF* macros issues
From: Rune
Date: 16 Apr 2002 15:29:25
Message: <3cbc7b95@news.povray.org>

> HFComputeNormal()
>   Not used but still (commented) in include file

I'll delete it.

> HFCreate_()
> 1. Unused Type parameter in HFCreate_ macro.

It was supposed to be "FileName" instead of "Type", but I see now that no
parameter is needed.

> 2. Putting comment inside loop can slow down
>    execution I think

A test shows that you're right, so I'll move the comments outside of the
loops. However, normally it's preferred that you test speed optimizations
yourself before you suggest them.

> 3. First loop use two locals but can be realised with only one.
>    Here is my version of first loop with speed optimization
>    but without annoying #debug

Whoops, the debug is a leftover from my tests. Don't know how it got
there...

Actually, the test to see if the vector has zero length is also a leftover
from the debugging. Currently the macro should never reach that part anyway,
so it can be removed completely. I will do so.

If you have actually seen the debug being used in some of your tests, then
it is due to an error, and then I would be very interested in that.

> HF_Square(), HF_Sphere(), HF_Cylinder(), HF_Torus()
> I think that content of loop can be optimized. to
> remove jumping for conditions.

I can't see any significant improvement with your version, and it's more
difficult to read.

> scenes\incdemo\shapes.pov
>
> Example shows dark areas on edges of meshes.
> It is probably result of low resolution (and
> direction of normals).

That's just how smooth triangles are. There's nothing I can do about it that
won't significantly increase the parse time of the demo scene.

Thanks for your input,

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Mar 19)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/