POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Release Candidate? What the ...?! : Re: Release Candidate? What the ...?! Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:14:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Release Candidate? What the ...?!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Apr 2002 12:55:58
Message: <3cbb061e@news.povray.org>
In article <3CBAEE0B.969FDF03@gmx.de> , Tim Nikias <tim### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> I've just stumbled upon the title "release candidate" for
> the new beta.
>
> If this is just something like "Look guys, we're beginning
> to wrap it all up, but expect at least 9 more candidates..."
> then its all fine with me.
>
> If this is like "About 2 more trial versions, and that's what ya
> get...", then I'm getting a little frustrated.

In what way is the number of beta versions related to the number of bugs
fixed? :-)

I am sure there won't be too many more beta versions and the beta period will
surely not run for another two month.  It should also be pointed out that not
all reported and confirmed bugs of POV-Ray 3.5 can be fixed in POV-Ray 3.5
considering the extend of a change to fix such a bug compared to the impact
and the duration of time it has not been a major problem.  these are some of
the aspects that are considered in the priority of bugs that will be fixed and
those that will unlikely be fixed.

This implies bugs that have existed for many years but only been reported for
3.5 the first time are for example less likely to be fixed.  Further, the
various precision problems inherited from POV-Ray 1.x and 2.x and 3.x and
which would require a complete new implementation of the feature (i.e. the
various blob and hfield precision problems) are unlikely to be fixed in
POV-Ray 3.5 and possible can never be fixed unless computer hardware changes
fundamentally.

One indication of the bugs that are most likely not going to be fixed before a
final release of POV-Ray 3.5 are already indicated in "Known bugs 1 Apr 2002
(beta15)" in the best test group in the "suspended" section of that list.
other bugs that won't be fixed obviously included those nobody has bothered to
provide a small scene to reproduce the problem or confirmed in the first
place.  At the time of release those will simply be "dropped".

Of course, I understand it is frustrating if your pet bug is on the suspended
list of has not been confirmed properly so far, but I hope you also understand
and share the desire to not being forced to wait for release for a very long
time until every such report has been analyzed, which could just mean that
after weeks of searching it simply cannot be reproduced.

You should also keep in mind that even at this stage POV-Ray 3.5 fixes
numerous bugs that exist in POV-Ray 3.1 and earlier, not even to mention the
various unofficial patches.  POV-Ray 3.5 also includes many new features in a
very stable condition.  In summary, I am sure you agree that POV-Ray 3.5 is a
comprehensive improvement upon POV-Ray 3.1 and various patches it includes.

And you should of course keep in mind that a release in the foreseeable future
also has certain benefits as far as fixing some of the esoteric bugs is
concerned.  If someone in the community has sufficient interest and ability to
fix it (as the source code will of course be available shortly after the final
release) and submits that fix to the POV-Team there is of course no reason why
in half a year or so there can't be a bug fix release of POV-Ray 3.5.

Please note that all the above is my own opinion and I am not speaking for the
POV-Team as a whole, only as one member.  However, I am fairly sure other team
members have similar opinions or at least do not strongly disagree with what I
outlined above.

Also, please note that while most words have been chosen carefully, it is very
possible some parts of what I outline above are not as clear as they could or
should be.  You should not jump to any conclusions based on my words but
instead consider them as a broad and imprecise explanation only! In particular
I don't want to be told in a month or two that I said this or that in this
post.  I know as little about the future as you do ;-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.