POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Grass Tex out now : Grass Tex out now Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Grass Tex out now
From: Rune
Date: 6 Apr 2002 18:05:49
Message: <3caf7f4d@news.povray.org>
The last few days I've been posting WIP images in povray.binaries.images of
a grass texture I've been working on. The Grass Tex include file is now
finished.

http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/3d/include/include.html

The Grass Tex lets you create textures that look like grass. Using some
special tricks, the grass appears to have depth even though the textures are
flat. The advantages are that there's no parsing time and no memory
requirement, so when creating a large field of grass, it can be much faster
than creating grass using actual objects. The disadvantage is that it
doesn't look right in a close-up view since the grass is only faked.

The Grass Tex include file is based on a different technique than my earlier
Fast Grass Include File. The grass made with the new technique looks better
and more realistic, and it also works in animations.

I hope you'll have a look at it and tell me what you think. And if you
actually use it for one of your images, please let me know. In fact, post
the image to povray.binaries.images. :)

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Mar 19)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/