POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG woes : CSG woes Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  CSG woes
From: Tom York
Date: 6 Apr 2002 07:29:46
Message: <3caeea3a@news.povray.org>
I have a complicated object (a union) in an include file, and
want to remove lots of small pieces from it. So far, so good.
I also want to have it render quickly, and I want to do all
this without altering the code in the include file. In outline,
I'm using:

POV scene file:

#include "HN_frigate.inc"

difference {
   object { HN_frigate }

   // lots of small boxes/cylinders/spheres

   box {...}
   cylinder {...}
   .
   .
   .

   bounded_by {...}
  }

HN_frigate.inc:

#declare HN_frigate = union {
	// many objects

	box {...}
	sphere {...}
	.
	.
	.
	}

I don't want to alter HN_frigate.inc every time I wish
to difference things from the union in that file. I've
tried making the small objects into a union, and
subtracting that from object { HN_frigate } but it's
no faster. What else could I do to speed this all up,
without altering the include file? Any illumination
gratefully received...

Tom