POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : New MegaPOV : Re: New MegaPOV Server Time
8 Jul 2024 15:56:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New MegaPOV
From: Rune
Date: 1 Apr 2002 07:17:11
Message: <3ca84fc7@news.povray.org>
"Warp" wrote:
> After all, it's these patches which are the main
> reason for the existence of MegaPov in the first
> place. Dropping them out because they are not in
> the official version would pretty much make
> MegaPov have no reason for its existence. If
> those patches were dropped out, then what would
> MegaPov have besides the official features?

Features in MegaPOV were dropped in POV-Ray 3.5 for different reasons. Some
were dropped because they were too incomplete or messy, but others were
dropped for principled reasons, and it was stated that they would never be
included in any future version of POV-Ray (although I don't think the
POV-Team officially said that).

I think post-processing belonged to the latter category. One POV-Team member
said (again, not speaking for the Team) that post-processing was not a job
of the POV-Ray engine, and if it was ever included in POV-Ray, it would be
in a separate engine or executable or something like that.

Now, knowing this, it's certainly not a crazy thought that MegaPOV would be
mostly dedicated to features that actually have a chance of being
implemented in *some* future version of official POV-Ray. An example of
features I'm pretty sure will not return to MegaPOV are the hf_height_at
feature and the feature to center or left align text. It has been clearly
stated that these features were not included in POV-Ray 3.5 because they
were deprecated (is that the right term?).

So indeed, when a person asks if this and that feature will be implemented,
it's not a ridicules question.

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/