POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spherical Isosurface + HieghtMap : Re: Spherical Isosurface + HieghtMap Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spherical Isosurface + HieghtMap
From: Corey Woodworth
Date: 25 Mar 2002 14:25:09
Message: <3c9f7995$1@news.povray.org>

news:sgtu9u87d7i9966rv1gbas3sra9nmisohe@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:11:39 -0500, "Corey Woodworth" <cdw### [at] mpinetnet>
> wrote:
> > Yes, but my bump map is *very* large. Much larger than I could make the
resolution
> > of the mesh without running out of memory i think.
>
> Do you really think you see all details on 800x600 render ?

I plan on scaling it up quite a bit when I'm done and then cropping it back
down. to just the important parts.

> > Slower to render? Its definetly faster to parse!
>
> but when you adjust values and start adjusting of enviroment, in case on
mesh
> you can use include file with fast parsing, in case of isosurface you
can't
> use include file with fast rendering

> > Yes but its not limited to the resolution of  the mesh. And even if it
is
> > limited to the resoultion of the height field, that resolution is a lot
higher than I
> > can (practically) make the mesh.
>
> The question is, do you really need it ? Do you really make posters with
> dimensions 8000x6000

Well I'm not using a CRAZY size 10k bump map. I'm using a 2k one. I know
I won't see all the detatails of it, but with a mesh I only see very few
details.
My mesh keeps looking chunky. :) I up the resolution and it looks less
chunky
but still far from what I want it to be.

> > Still I know very little about this and could be very
> > wrong. Please correct me if I am :)
>
> You are right abot accuracy. But You are using wrong method for spherical
> mapping for so small image dimensions as presented in p.b.i.

So you  suggest I just keep upping the resolution of the mesh untill it
doesn't
look like a mesh at my target resoultion?

Corey