POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spherical Isosurface + HieghtMap : Spherical Isosurface + HieghtMap Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Spherical Isosurface + HieghtMap
From: Corey Woodworth
Date: 25 Mar 2002 06:50:27
Message: <3c9f0f03$1@news.povray.org>
Ok. I'm trying to model the planet earth using a heightmap of it I
downloaded. The heightmap has Mt. Everest as pure white and the oceans as
pure black Will this code make mt everest and ONLY mt. everest touch the
outside of the containig sphere, or will it extend out of the sphere and
make it look like the top was cut off. I don't really understand how far
reaching the function goes but I think I've figured out that it doesn't
scale with the container.

Here is what I have:

union {   isosurface {
    function {(EarthRadius-EarthHeight(x, y, z).grey)}
    max_gradient 8
    threshold 0.9
    contained_by { sphere { 0, EarthRadius } }
    no_shadow
    pigment { EarthImage
    //color White
     }