POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial Povray : Re: Commercial Povray Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:42:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial Povray
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 20 Mar 2002 10:51:16
Message: <3c98aff4$1@news.povray.org>

> I avoid surveys as well as dissiminating personal data around to unknown
org.
> How accurate can be a surveys were only thus who want can answer ?
> How can you trust the answers, and therefore the surveys ?

    Because your sort of avoidance is usually small enough to vanish into
noise. Also because if the circumstance are right, as survey preparers work
long hours to accomplish, people like you -would- answer enough questions to
get a good sample. I mean, you answered it today...

    They know that a certain percentage of Linux users are paranoid, as are
a certain percentage of Mac users and Windows users and they account for
this.

    It is really quite interesting. They do sample surveys, compare that
data to real life, then make adjustments and try again. When the variance
disappears into noise, they are pretty sure that they have a good survey
and -then- and -only- then do successful businesses invest millions of
dollars into a product based upon the data.