POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fast sky / clouds : Re: Fast sky / clouds Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:31:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fast sky / clouds
From: Hugo
Date: 20 Mar 2002 04:14:58
Message: <3c985312$1@news.povray.org>
Kari Kivisalo wrote:
> I blame the docs. It's really the other way around. If
> your display_gamma is 2.2 or not set, using
> assumed_gamma 2.2 does nothing. assumed_gamma 1
> corrects for gamma 2.2 display. At least in 3.5.

I just read the Pov-docs about display_gamma.. Made me confused, but I think
display_gamma should be linked to that of my graphics card.. By default it's
2.2 when not specified in povray.ini (which it is not).. Assumed_gamma
should be 1.. This means, what appear on my monitor will be gamma corrected
on-the-fly but the image on disk will be non-gamma corrected.

This doesn't sound like a good idea for most people.. Almost every picture
we download from the net has already been gamma corrected, and would suffer
from further (such heavy) adjustments. I don't use windows-controlled gamma
correction, and I doubt many people do.

JRG wrote:
> The default finishes (esp. ambient is way too high)
> do not match well with assumed_gamma 1.

This doesn't sound similar to Kari Kivisalo? He seems to simply describe
another way of using the same amount of gamma correction.. So that shouldn't
change the way we use light and textures?

Regards  :o)
Hugo