POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How much will PoVRay cost? : Re: How much will PoVRay cost? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:33:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much will PoVRay cost?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 20 Mar 2002 04:05:16
Message: <3c9850cc$1@news.povray.org>

3c96efe2@news.povray.org...

> I was (and I am still) convinced that someone has done some calculations
> see what amount of money is necessary to keep PoV up as it is. Why not?

From povray's web site :

"Bringing POV-Ray and the IRTC to the public isn't cheap. In fact the annual
costs are enough to buy a brand-new car (and would be much more if it
weren't for the generosity of our hosts). This server is a co-located
machine (owned by a POV-Team member) connected to multiple OC-3's. It moves
an average of 15 gigabytes per day, split almost equally between POV-Ray and
the IRTC. Any difference between income from sales and the cost of the
co-location comes out of the personal finances of a POV-Ray developer. Since
we give POV-Ray away for free sales of these products are the only means  we
have of meeting our running costs."

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com