POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How much will PoVRay cost? : Re: How much will PoVRay cost? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:34:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much will PoVRay cost?
From: Harold Baize
Date: 19 Mar 2002 14:06:53
Message: <3c978c4d$1@news.povray.org>
I think POV would be more likely to die if it changed to shareware.
Then there wouldn't be volunteer effort and the cash flow would
be insufficient to keep it going. As a case in point, there was an
early competitor, PolyRay it think was the name, which was shareware.
Do you see any evidence of PolyRay today? I rest my case.

The time expiration was used in beta testing POV 3.1 too, but that
didn't mean it became shareware. The time limitation is just to avoid
having to deal with supporting old and buggy versions of the program.

Long live POV-Ray!

Harold