POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : keyring background : Re: keyring background Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:32:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: keyring background
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Mar 2002 06:24:36
Message: <3c971ff4@news.povray.org>
In article <3c968149@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   I just tried to compress a 4096x4096 image to PNG with pngcrush (using its
> brute force search for the best compression settings).
>   At 24 bits per pixel the image file is 58540 bytes long, and at 8 bits
> per pixel it's 2131 bytes long.
>
>   (I really wonder why the 24-bit image is so big. Why not three times the
> size of the 8-bit version?)

I was surprised by the size of the 24 bit image as well.  I suppose it is
because the image data internally is handled in such a way that it gives
better results for images with lots of color changes.

Did you try to play with manually setting the compression window size (if the
program you are using allows this)?  Maybe this will give better results...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde