POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray wishlist : Re: Povray wishlist Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:41:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray wishlist
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 19 Mar 2002 03:13:57
Message: <3c96f345@news.povray.org>
news:3c964780@news.povray.org...
>   It's just that I really don't understand what is the idea behind making
> the POV-Ray parser more limited and harder to use. I don't see any
advantage
> in this.
>   I don't understand why some people seem to think that versatility is a
> bad thing, when it isn't.
>   I use the POV-Ray features rather extensively, and it would deprive me
of
> many great tools if they were taken away all of a sudden.
>   It would be different if the extra features were an overburden (eg. they
> would make rendering slower), but they aren't.

This is how I feel about UI design.  Some people argue that more options in
a UI make it less intuitive and harder to use.  Personally, I like having
options.  Yes, I actually _do_ use the File menu, the little square with the
'x', and even the control menu (what are they calling that these days?), not
to mention Task Manager, all to close programs!  No, I do _not_ feel less
efficient for having those options available!

It's the same with the language syntax.  There's nothing wrong with having a
variety of ways to accomplish things.  POV does not have to be RISC to be
effective.

...Chambers

---