POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How much will PoVRay cost? : Re: How much will PoVRay cost? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much will PoVRay cost?
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 18 Mar 2002 15:18:59
Message: <3c964bb3$1@news.povray.org>

> But maybe I'm simply too negative?

    Yes, I think you are being too cynical. Expiry of Betas is a time
honored method among real beta testing efforts (not the fake "BETA!!!" hype
of some software marketers). It is used to make sure all people are
performing tests and sending in reports on the same version of the software.

    If you are downloading 3.5 with the intention of using it - instead of
testing it for the benefit of the team - you are probably going to be
frustrated. This is a real beta test, not a pre-release.

    If I recall correctly, there are firm copyright restrictions on the
Pov-ray development team ever using Pov-ray as a base for developing a
commercial version. Besides that, the current team has individually shown a
firm commitment to the free distribution of Pov-ray.

    So points for creativity, but you might need to go back to your
conspiracy blackboard and start over.