POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray wishlist : Povray wishlist Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Povray wishlist
From: Corey Woodworth
Date: 17 Mar 2002 18:16:07
Message: <3c9523b7@news.povray.org>
I know that I'm still a newbie here and I don't want to make any waves, but
here are a few of my suggestions to add to the next version of pov. I'm sure
many of these have probably been brought up before but I just wanted to
throw in my 2 cents. Pov is a great program but it could be so much
better!!! With no further ado here is my short list of meager suggestions:

1. Everyone knows pov is slow as molasses. Lets just throw out the old
deprecated C and convert the whole program to ASM. Everyone has Pentiums now
anyway.

2. With the speed afforded to us from improvement number one we can now
throw out all the old hacks that give us refection and refraction in favor
for a much better system: Forward ray tracing.

3. I don't know about you guys but this typing crap is hard. It's the new
millennium and time for a GUI. Lets mimic a proven formula for productivity
and intuitiveness. A system that is both easy to use and feature rich. All
you real CG experts of course know I'm talking about the interface found in
Bryce! I mean those arrows are so pretty! How come pov doesn't have pretty
arrows?

4. I like listening to music when I'm modeling, but it's such a pain to
alt-tab back and forth between pov and winamp, why don't we make pov a
winamp plug-in?

5. Speaking of winamp, isn't about time that pov's UI was skinnable?!

6. CSG would be a lot easier if we had more primitives to work with. Cubes
and spheres were great in preschool but the world is a complex place and we
need complex shapes to describe it. Here are my suggestions for some new
primitives: Dodecahedron, Buckyball, Leggo brick, Shreck

7. Its so much fun to return to the pov site after the beta expires to get
the next one! It makes sure I visit regularly and I have the newest version.
I think that the final version should expire as well, even if there aren't
any new versions to download.

8. While I commend whoever wrote the tutorials, FAQs, and docs that come
with pov we all know that nobody reads them. How about we convert them all
to wav files? If pov becomes a winamp plugin then it would integrate nicely.

I hope the dev team will take these suggestions to heart when considering
what features to add to pov4. Thanks for hearing me out!

Corey