POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : keyring background : Re: keyring background Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:33:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: keyring background
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 16 Mar 2002 16:23:04
Message: <3c93b7b8@news.povray.org>
>   However, one algorithm can compress in *average* better than another.

define "average" ... as you probably know, there are different kind of messurements

If you think about the standard [ (x1+x2+x3)/3 ] average, then I wouldn't
swear on this for an infinite set of sources to compress ...

Maybe it _CAN_ be true for a countable, closed set ...
(as for all possible images, where it could be computable) but I'm still not sure
'bout this ...

BTW: After thinking a while, I came to the conclusion that your first
statement was not necessarily wrong...
It is of course possible, that one algorithm is worse for every case, than another ...